One of the most difficult challenges facing those wanting to survive and thrive in our industry is eating well while on the go. At a certain point in the day we all hit a slump, whether running a program, sitting in an all day meeting, or trudging through airports, the below recipe was created for just that moment when you need a little healthy pick-me-up.
- 2 cups porridge oats
- 3/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup mixed nuts & seeds (I use pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and almonds)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 ounces x mixed dried fruit (I use blueberries and dates)
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Line baking dish (1’’ x 8’’ x 12’’ approx.) with parchment paper
- Mix the oats, wheat germ, nuts and seeds in a baking dish and toast in the oven for approx. 10minutes. Stir occasionally so that the mixture doesn’t burn
- Put the brown sugar, agave syrup, butter, vanilla essence and salt in a saucepan. Stir continuously and bring the liquid ingredients to a simmer
- Add the oat mixture into the liquid and combine with your dried fruit in a large bowl – make sure to mix really well
- Put the granola mixture into your prepared baking dish and cover with another sheet of parchment paper. Compact everything by pressing the mixture firmly into the dish
- Leave the dish in the fridge for 2-3 hours until the granola is completely chilled.
- Take the top layer of parchment paper off and carefully turn the granola onto a large cutting board.
- Peel away the rest of the paper, cut into bite-size bars and pack in a zip-lock bag